1) Water- Make sure to have plenty of bottled water for your family. One person needs at least a half a gallon of water a day.
2) Food- Purchase 3-5 days worth of non-perishable food. Canned meats, dried fruits, cereals and peanut butter are perfect choices.
3) Gasoline- 1 to 2 days before a storm make sure to fill up your car with gasoline. Also, fill up any extra cans you have for use for portable generators.
4) Medications- Have plenty of your prescription medications on hand before the storm as it make take additional time for pharmacies to have full stock after the storm.
5) Cooler- Keep plenty of ice and a cooler on hand to help keep staple food items and any medications cold until power is restored.
6) Review your Emergency Plan- Make sure everyone in your home knows about the safest spot in your home.
7) First Aid Kit- Make sure to have a fully stocked first aid kit on hand in the event of a minimal medical emergency.
8) Secure Important Documents- Secure all insurance cards, insurance information, IDs and other pertinent information in a water-proof container.
9) Know Your Evacuation Zone- Learn your home's evacuation zone and finalize an evacuation plan before the storm hits. Keep a full tank of gas ready and available.
10) Disposable Items- Keep paper plates, plastic utensils, paper towels, garbage bags, toilet paper and other disposable items on hand.
11) Leisure Items- To help pass time and fight off boredom, break out the books, magazines, and board games. Make sure the kids have plenty of non-electronic toys and their comfort items near by to keep them busy and calm.